verb (used with object), consumed, consuming.
1. to destroy or expend by use; use up.
2. to eat or drink up; devour.
3. to destroy, as by decomposition or burning: Fire consumed the forest.
4. to spend (money, time, etc.) wastefully.
5. to absorb; engross: consumed with curiosity. verb (used without object), consumed, consuming.
6. to undergo destruction; waste away.
7. to use or use up consumer goods.
1. the act of consuming, as by use, decay, or destruction.
2. the amount consumed: the high consumption of gasoline.
3. Economics. the using up of goods and services having anexchangeable value.
a. Older Use. tuberculosis of the lungs.
b. progressive wasting of the body.